A garage door is an item most people feel is a necessity. There are still some people out there that prefer a manual garage door to an automatic door. Or they have an older property that is not capable of having an automatic garage door installed. It is always suggested to call a professional garage door repair company to install a garage door. However some people are those D.I.Y. types and prefer the challenge of installing it themselves.
If you have a basic, un-insulated steel garage door, then you are a perfect candidate for a manual garage door. To install, all you need to do is secure the door with a torsion spring system. This kind of installation generally requires only a drill, its bits, a hex wrench and an open-end wrench.
Your installation instructions will probably vary, but the basics generally go something like this:
- Attach the flag bracket and horizontal angle, and connect them to the jamb.
- Connect the torsion tubs and the springs, and place them in each bracket.
- After measuring the length of release of the spring, tighten the screws to the torsion tube.
- Secure the left side drum, and then the right side drum.
- Attach the tube retainer and wind the spring
These are the most basic instructions, but they give you an idea of the steps required to install a manual garage door. If you find your self struggling with the instructions that came with the garage door you do not want to install the door incorrectly as it may eventually injure you or cause damage to your vehicle. Call a garage door repair company that has expert technicians who can assist you with your garage door installation.